One of the first projects we attempted this summer was to make this drainage area. The garden hose hangs next to the back door, but just off the porch. During the summer we were watering our container garden every day. This area beneath the hose didn’t have any grass and so it turned muddy every day. This project was pretty easy, but it did require two people, mainly due to our choice of edging. I chose this very thin edging because I didn’t want to take out a lot of the yard, but if I did it again, I think I’d choose something sturdier. We had a lot of trouble trying to get it to stay in the ground. We lined the bottom with landscape fabric. Then we filled it with one bag of egg rock (this isn’t the brand we used). I was going for a round river rock bed sort of feel.
As you can see, it turned out pretty ok. We haven’t had any more problems with mud in that area, and I think it looks nicer than the little bit of grass we had there before. This leads into a larger project that will post about soon.